Commemoration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi- Closing Events: 1) Quiz on Gandhian Philosophy and Thought (23-09-2020) 2) Online NSS Foundation Day Celebrations (24-09-2020, 10.00 am to 11.00 am) 3) Online Motivational Lecture on Gandhian Ethics and Leadership (24-09-2020, 11.00 am to 1.00 pm) 4) Online International Seminar on Gandhian Philosophy (30-09-2020, 10.30 am to 1.00 pm) 5) Online Virtual Photo Exhibition on Gandhiji (02-10-2020) 6) Old Age Home Visit (02-10-2020)
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
The epicenter of intellectual, creative and altruistic discourses of the college, the Department of English was started along with the establishment of the college in the year 1992. Since its inception the Department has been playing an important role, assisting the college administration in organizing almost every important event. Truly humanitarian in outlook and extremely professional in attitude, the department helps the students shape a befitting future for themselves. The department provides students a chance to think across times, cultures and disciplines, to explore their talents to endless bounds and to extend their creativity to boundless expanses defying the confines of knowledge. The Department attempts to carve out a successful fraternity that can set its own standards. Three Lecturers are working in the Department. The faculty members are qualified, experienced, competent and dedicated. The Department has a well-equipped language lab and design programmes for communication skill classes. The Department has been playing an important role in consultancy.
The Department of English has been functioning with the objectives as:
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills (LSRW Skills).
- To enable the students to understand comprehension passages.
- To enrich students’ in communication skills as well as soft skills.
- To understand phonetic sounds and transcription.
- To create interest in English.
- To prepare the students towards the employability.
- To motivate the students to pursue for higher education.
- To mould the character and conduct of the students.
- To advise the students to become ideal citizens of India
PROGRAMMES OF STUDY
The Department of English offers the following programmes in CBCS mode from the academic year 2015-2016. Besides, The Department involves in teaching interdisciplinary courses (CSS) i.e., non-core subjects particularly all the Departments.
B.Sc. (M.S.Cs)., Mathematics-Statistics-Computer Science.
B.Sc. (M.P.Cs)., Mathematics-Physics-Computer Science.
B.Sc. (B.Z.C)., Botany-Zoology-Chemistry.
B.Com (CA)., Computer Applications.
B.A (H.E.P)., History-Economics-Political Science.
Seminars, jams, group discussions, debates, quizzes, social extension activities, class room interactive activities, class counselling, etc., are some of the important co-curricular activities, extra-curricular activities and outreach activities of the department for the betterment of the students. Invited and guest lectures are some of the essential activities of the faculty for enrichment of the students and faculty. As for as consultancy services concerned, the Department of English contribute more in imparting training in communication skills. Continuous Faculty Developing Programmes are some of the vital activities for the development of the faculty and for achieving quality education. The Department provides the students language lab to developed listening, speaking, reading and writing practices that draws on the strengths, basic knowledge in spoken English.The Department has adopted the blended teaching and also initiated a practice of taking e-assignments to save paper, environment as well as time.The department plans to start on-line tests for English Language & Communication in near future making the best use of ICT, so that the evaluation can be done instantly and accurately.
· An activity-based methodology is followed viz., Group Discussions, Book Reading, Debates, Language Quiz and so on.
· Core areas of focus include Public Speaking, Personality Grooming, Job Skills and Social Awareness.
· The language lab is optimally used to train the students in listening comprehension.
· Students are given regular internet updates on free websites for language learning.
· Diversified instruction material is employed-News Paper cuttings, You Tube, etc.
· A Verbal Ability Test is administered to Degree I year students to assess their entry level language proficiency. Accordingly a Bridge Course is designed to fill the gaps in their language skills.
· Continuous evaluation is done through Group Discussions, Assignments, Listening Comprehension, Classroom Interactions, and Seminars etc.
· Assignments are designed to give the students adequate language practice on important grammar topics.
STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES AND FUTURE PLANS
The strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, challenges and future plans of the Department are:
· Qualified, competent and dedicated faculty.
· Well established infrastructural facilities.
· Timely encouragement and cooperation from the management.
· Since the students are from Telugu medium and rural areas, there is a drawback in communication skills development among the students.
· Non-availability of faculty with Ph.D.,
· More opportunities for higher studies
· More opportunities for placements in private sectors as well as Government sectors
· More opportunities to obtain self employment
· Innumerable chances to get settle down in various fields like teaching, writing etc.,
· To improve communication and soft skills
· To give competitive spirit to get employment
· To eleminate phobia of English
· Upgrading the department by starting PG Programme
· Encouraging the staff members to get doctorate and to qualify NET/SET.
· Motivating faculty to take up projects.
· Encouraging the faculty towards research publications.
· Conducting extension activity for our students in different fields to improve their communicative skills.
· Looking for grants from funding agencies to conduct National and International conferences to create awareness among students about recent trends in English Literature.
There are three faculty members in the Department of English.
1. Mr. D. Prabhudas, M. A., M.Ed. (Head of the Department)
2. Mr. D. Vinay Kumar, M.A.
3. Mr. B. Ashok, M.A.