Commemoration of 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi- Closing Events: 1) Quiz on Gandhian Philosophy and Thought (23-09-2020) 2) Online NSS Foundation Day Celebrations (24-09-2020, 10.00 am to 11.00 am) 3) Online Motivational Lecture on Gandhian Ethics and Leadership (24-09-2020, 11.00 am to 1.00 pm) 4) Online International Seminar on Gandhian Philosophy (30-09-2020, 10.30 am to 1.00 pm) 5) Online Virtual Photo Exhibition on Gandhiji (02-10-2020) 6) Old Age Home Visit (02-10-2020)
Deaprtment of English Visit blog:https://cssrenglish.blogspot.in/
The Department of English was started along with the establishment of the college in the year 1992. Since its inception the Department has been playing an important role, assisting the college administration in organizing almost every important event. Three Lecturers are working in the Department. The faculty members are qualified, competent and dedicated. The Department has a well-equipped language lab and design programmes for Communication Skill classes. The Department has been playing an important role in consultancy.
The Department of English has been functioning with the objectives as:
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills (LSRW Skills).
- To enable the students to understand comprehension passages.
- To understand the printed /written material by the students.
- To enrich students’ in communication skills as well as soft skills.
- To understand phonetic sounds and transcription.
- To create interest in English.
- To inculcate the students towards the employability.
- To motivate the students for higher education.
- To mould the character and conduct of the students.
- To advise the students to become ideal citizens of India
PROGRAMMES OF STUDY
The Department of English offers the following programmes in CBCS mode from the academic year 2015-2016. Besides, The Department involves in teaching interdisciplinary course (CSS) i.e., non-core subjects particularly all the Departments.
B.Sc. (M.S.Cs).Mathematics-Statistics-Computer Science.
B.Sc. (M.P.Cs).Mathematics-Physics-Computer Science.
B.Com (CA).Computer Applications.
B.A (H.E.P).History-Economics-Political Science.
Seminars, Jams, group discussions, debates, quizzes, social extension work, class room interactive activities and class counseling etc., are some of the important co-curricular activities and extra-curricular activities of the department for the benefit of both the students and the staff members as well. Invited and guest lectures are some of the essential activities of the faculty for enrichment of the students and faculty. As for as Consultancy Services concerned, the Department of English contribute more in imparting training in communication skills. Faculty Developing Programmes and workshops are some of the vital activities of the faculty for achieving quality education. The Department provides the students language lab to developed listening, speaking, reading and writing practices that draws on the strengths, basic knowledge in spoken English.
- An activity-based methodology is followed viz Group Discussions, Book Reading, Debates, Language Quiz and so on.
- Core areas of focus include Public Speaking, Personality Grooming, Job Skills and Social Awareness.
- The language lab is optimally used to train the students in listening comprehension.
- Students are given regular internet updates on free websites for language learning.
- Diversified instruction material is employed-News Paper cuttings, You Tube etc.
- A Verbal Ability Test is administered to Degree I year students to assess their entry level language proficiency. Accordingly a Bridge Course is designed to fill the gaps in their language skills.
- Continuous evaluation is done through Group Discussions, Assignments, Listening Comprehension, Classroom Interactions, and Seminars etc.
- Assignments are designed to give the students adequate language practice on important grammar topics.
STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES AND FUTURE PLANS
The strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, challenges and future plans of the Department are:
- Qualified, Competent and dedicated faculty.
- Well established infrastructural facilities
- Encouragement & cooperation of the management time to time
- Since the students are from Telugu medium there is drawback in communication skills among the students.
- Non-availability of faculty with Ph.D.,
- More opportunities for higher studies
- More opportunities for placements in private sectors as well as Government sectors
- More opportunities for to obtain self employment
- To improve Communication Skills
- To give competitive spirit to get employment
- To avoid phobia in English
- Upgrading the department by starting PG Programme
- Encouraging the staff members to get doctorate and to qualify NET/SET.
- Motivating faculty to take up projects.
- Conducting extension activity for our students in different fields to improve their communicative skills.
- Searching grants from funding agencies to conduct National and International conference to create awareness among students about recent trends in English Literature.
There are three faculty members in the Department of English.
- Mr. D. Prabhudas, M. A., M.Ed. (Head of the Department)
- Mr. B. Ashok, M. A.,